Monday, February 20, 2012

A Parenting "Aha!" Moment


When I had only one child, all housework waited until she was sleeping.  While she was awake, I was with her one-on-one.  With two kids, I quickly realized that this wasn't a reasonable, doable, or sane idea.  The problem is, there are days that I'm left feeling guilty and the kids feel ignored.  The other day I heard Hadley and Blake playing together, and Hadley said, "I'm the Mommy, and mommy's don't play."   Ouch.

So, here is what I did:  I had laundry to fold, a kitchen to clean, dinner to prep and floors to mop.  I made a train out of dining chairs, named Blake the conductor, and after a short "ride" he would drop me off to run and complete a task, while I told them where to drive to while I was gone.  They had a blast, I had fun, and the kids felt like I was part of their game, instead of ignoring them while I cleaned.  Plus, I got to hear conversations like this while I was cleaning:
Hadley:  Blake, are we in Wis-scons-kin?
Blake:  Yep
Hadley: What do we do in Wis-scons-kin?
Blake:  I don't know.  Go to Minnesota?

No comments:

Post a Comment