Monday, August 15, 2011

Peach Crisp

Our grocery store had organic nectarines and peaches on sale last week.  I think I went back three times to buy more, and each time I would buy some that were unripe so we'd be stocked well past the end of the sale.  However, I'm rather impatient and I lack self control, so I ended up eating more than a couple of crispy peaches.  Gross, right?  Well, last night I decided that enough was enough.  It was time to take action. 

Did you know you can take un-ripened fruit and poach it in a mixture of water and sugar and voila- soft, sweet peaches.  Put that in the bottom of a glass dish and top with oatmeal crumb topping... Yum!
 
Here's my non-recipe recipe for peach crisp. 

1.  Peel, pit and slice 4 or 5 peaches. 
2.  Place in saucepan with 1/2 cup water and some brown sugar (maybe 1/4 cup).  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  If you haven't already peeled the peaches, the peels will come off easily now. 
3. Add a dab of butter, dash of cinnamon and a little bit of flour to thicken the liquid; stir until combined.
4.  Butter a glass dish (8x8 or pie plate).  Pour in the peach mixture.  
5.  In a bowl, mix together a bit of brown sugar (1/4-1/2 cup), some oats (about 1/2 cup), dash of salt, dash of cinnamon, some flour and about 4 tablespoons of butter.  Cut together with a pastry blender, or mix in a food processor until crumbly.  Sprinkle this mixture on top of the peaches.  
6.  Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.  The peaches are already cooked, so you just need to cook the top until brown and crispy.  I was impatient so I turned on the broiler for a couple of minutes.  
7.  Cool slightly, spoon into bowls and top with whipped cream or ice cream.  

Note: If you want to use a real recipe, I'm sure a search for "Peach Crisp" would bring up lots of options.  Most likely they will tell you that I didn't make mine correctly.  But really, if it tastes good, who cares?


It's not pretty, but the taste makes up for the presentation.


Whip it good...


Don't be fooled by the two forks.  This plate was all for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment