Saturday, August 6, 2011

This and That

First off, a magic trick.  I can teach you how to take really healthy food and turn it into unhealthy, but totally delicious food.  Vegetables that even your kids will love.  Now that's magic!  Abracadabra!
  Here's the secret.

While you are in the kitchen, why not take those brown bananas off the counter and turn them into something awesome?  See, more magic.  I started with Flour's Famous Banana Bread recipe from foodnetwork.com, and made a few adjustments.  It might have been the best banana bread I've ever made!


Banana Bread

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup all purpose, 2/3 cup whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup; next time I'd cut back on the sugar even more.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil (1/4 cup oil, 1/4 applesauce)
  • 3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed (I pulled them out of the freezer a bit in advance and tossed them into the mixer whole so a few chunks were left in the bread.  Yum!)
  • 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream (I went with the sour cream) 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (I left these out)

Directions

Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.  (I baked mine in 4 mini loaf pans for about 35 minutes each)

Mini loaf pans mean the bread will be done before 1:00 AM- bonus!


On another note, who can resist a monkey like this one


Happy Birthday, Lucy!  (Did you know she was a natural brunette?)

No comments:

Post a Comment