Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A holiday recap, a.k.a What I ate last weekend, a.k.a There's a horse in my house


The holiday weekend is over, but Tyler and I both had today off of work- bonus!  The last few days have been great and I know you're just dying to hear about it, right?  If not, click away now!  (Mom, I at least expect you to read this, and do so carefully- there will be a quiz).  Alright, let's review- it's going to be long winded and poorly written.  Okay, fair warning...

On Thursday morning, a friend called to say she'd be over within the hour to drop off some Christmas goodies.  I had planned to make macaroons for her, as she loves coconut, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet.  That meant I had 60 minutes or less to drive home, put Blake down for a nap and make a batch of macaroons.  Luckily the recipe on the back of the Baker's coconut bag is super easy. They weren't done in time, so that meant I had time to cool them, dip the bottoms in chocolate and enjoy them myself.  I think these are a little too sweet and with a strong almond flavor straight out of the oven, but they are better as they cool.  I've tried several recipes but always come back to this one.

That afternoon, Tyler came home from work early so we decided to go on an impromptu "staycation."  We had a certificate for a free night at the Hampton Inn downtown, and they kindly upgraded us to a suite.  Turns out the hotel was basically empty- we only saw one other family in the pool and the same family again at breakfast the next morning.  Boise side --  We love this hotel.  The staff is extremely friendly, the location is great and the hotel is new, well decorated and clean (I'm super picky about that last one).

While we were downtown, we walked around and looked at Christmas lights, peeked into store windows and went out for sushi. Hadley has been asking to have sushi for dinner for a few weeks, so she was very excited.  The kids each downed a bowl of miso soup and polished off an entire veggie roll.  After that, Hadley stole pieces of my shrimp tempura roll and the kids split a PB+J rolls (served burrito style so it was easy for them to eat).  I tried a bite, and it was surprisingly, strangely good.  Another Boise side-note- Superb Sushi = yum!  Locally owned, friendly and clean.  They really up the presentation for dinner, but keep the prices the same as the lunch menu.


After Sushi, we headed back to the hotel to swim.  The last time we attempted to swim at a hotel, both kids cried until we gave up and headed for dry land.  This time was different though; the kids loved swimming and were so happy in the water!  We all had so much fun.  The next morning found the kids, still sleepy, in bed with Tyler watching ESPN (cable t.v. is a special treat).  After having continental breakfast, where the kids once again ate their weight in food, we headed home.  I'm not sure if it's the novelty of eating out, or if it's an indication that my cooking is bad, but the kids eat SO much more when we're out.


That afternoon, Hadley and I made sugar cookies.  I didn't plan ahead and thus was looking for a recipe that didn't require chilling time.  I used this recipe, knowing that it probably wouldn't lend itself well to cutouts.  I tried it anyway and chilled it in the freezer for 15 minutes to help things out.  The type A side of me was stressing over the imperfections in our cutouts, as I tried to let Hadley take artistic control of this project.  As it turned out, it didn't matter because the cookies spread to about 3 times their original size, rendering the shapes unrecognizable.  If you do make the cookies as written, rolling them into balls without flattening prior to baking, they turn out quite well.  I would double the vanilla for increased flavor.  Word is, Santa enjoyed his cookies. 

                                              

Friday night (Christmas Eve) I made Asian Turkey Meatballs for dinner.  A friend mentioned this meal, (thanks Kate!) but I forgot to ask for the recipe.  This is the first one that popped up on google and it had good reviews, so we went for it.  I thought they were good, and certainly easy, but had a little too strong of a soy sauce flavor.  They were better the next day.  I served it on top of rice with steamed broccoli as a side.

We started to open gifts that evening, Hadley at full speed, unable to contain her excitement.  Blake, on the other hand, went from quiet, to crabby, to feverish, to vomiting.  Gift opening was quickly replaced with bath time and then the kids were off to bed.

On Christmas morning, we opened stockings then more gifts while skyping with family in MN.  For brunch, we had Blueberry Pecan Overnight French Toast.  As with most similar recipes, it's really more of a bread pudding than french toast, but I love bread pudding so that isn't a problem for me.  The best part is that most of the prep work is completed the night before hand. We also had sweet potato hash.  I usually make it on the stove top, but roasted it in the oven this time based on this recipe: Fluffy Eggs with Roasted Vegetable Hash.  We decided not to make the egg portion as we had too much food for the four of us.  I just eyeballed everything for the hash and added chopped red and green peppers and an extra sweet potato.  It took a lot more time to roast than the recipe stated (probably 40-50 minutes), but required less attention than our usual skillet method.

Christmas dinner was not a traditional meal, but we all enjoyed it.  While I can do without mashed potatoes and gravy and I don't care for turkey or cranberry sauce, I do love stuffing.  I used this recipe for slow cooker stuffing.  I bought a box of cornbread stuffing which already had all of the spices added (I believe the brand was Cantebury Organics).  It was good that night, and even better the next day.  I think stuffing is best eaten cold, straight out of the fridge.  If you're going to do this, I suggest you make sure you hide behind the fridge door, because this is a totally embarrassing habit.  I'd never admit to it if I were you....  Anyway,  Tyler replaced turkey with a grilled steak and I made parmesan crusted dover sole for myself and the kids.  Again, I found my recipe via a google search.  This is the recipe I used, but I interpreted it very loosely.  I eyeballed all ingredients and didn't make the sauce.  This recipe was a hit and even Tyler, who dislikes fish, had seconds.

After dinner on Saturday we headed to the Botanical Garden for Winter Garden Aglow.  Thousands of Christmas lights, great views of the city and mild weather made this the perfect place for a post dinner stroll.  They are open until January 9th; if you are in Boise you need to make time for this.  It's beautiful!

Sunday was a day of leftovers and lounging for Tyler and the kids, while I was at work.  We decided to cry uncle on housework that night and headed to Smoky Mountain for Veggie Pizza.  Our nanny waitresses there on the weekends, so the kids were in heaven.  You'd think Hadley was spotting a celebrity every time she saw her walk past our table.  

Fast forward to today.  Grilled cheese and leftover sweet potatoes for lunch.  For dinner, we made Butter Chicken from thepioneerwoman.com.  Don't bother telling me that this isn't authentic Indian food.  I know, and I don't care.  It's just plain good.  The kids aren't huge fans of this dish and both ended up filling their bellies with cereal.  Again, we don't care because we like it that much.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Tyler joined us at Stroller Strides this morning.  It was fun and entertaining for all those involved.  Tyler admitted that it was a really difficult workout (the truth is- I kicked his butt!).  I'm fully expecting to hear him groan when he tries to walk down the stairs in the morning. 

Well, there you have it.  I warned you that it would be long, right?  If you are still reading, kudos!  You deserve a medal, or a macaroon, or maybe a meatball.  Or perhaps you need to get a hobby.  (joking- sheesh!)  But wait, you say, what about the horse?  

Here's the deal, since I'm dwelling on the positive.  I have some awesome friends and coworkers.  They like to give me things for the kids.  I'm talking large rubbermaid containers full of clothes, bags full of toys and stacks of books.  This is truly wonderful and we really appreciate it.  See all positive, right?  There is, however,  a small, minor, issue with these gracious gestures.  I now have a very large, life like toy horse living in my house.  The thing is huge and takes up space that we never had to begin with.  Also, it freaks me out.  I swear it's staring me down right now.  He's taken residence in our entryway, but is moved as needed.  In the last 3 days he has lived in the bathroom, the living room, the kids' room, and the kitchen.  He also served as a great baby gate to keep Blake out of the kitchen, as he was initially too scared to go within 5 feet of the "neigh" (as Blake calls it).  We're thinking the horse may have to "go live on a farm" soon.  Luckily this was anticipated and there is another coworker awaiting his arrival.  Hallelujah. 



Tired boys


Hadley loves her new dollhouse

Blake's digging the hockey stick from Hairy Grandpa

Hadley likes to pretend she's pregnant.  Her quote here: "Mom, I have a baby in my belly and I have a hockey stick!"  Great combo sweetie.   I'm so proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment