Saturday, December 18, 2010

Holy cake balls, Batman!

I know I'm about 2 years behind on this one, but have you seen/made/consumed cake balls?  They are easy (but messy and time consuming) to make, and they taste pretty good, too.  Other than my brief foray into cake balls during the great fruit cake experiment of 2010, this was the first time I really attempted them.

Most recipes call for a boxed cake mix and a can of frosting, but that's not how I roll.  It's not that I'm too good for boxed cakes, it's just that they aren't good enough for me.  They just taste funny.  Anyway... I made a chocolate cake in a 9x13 pan, crumbled it and combined with one batch of chocolate cream cheese frosting.  Mash it together, roll into balls, freeze briefly and then dip in chocolate.  Voila!  Cake balls.  We got about 75-80 cake balls out of one recipe, though it's hard to know the exact number, since several of them inexplicably disappeared during the process.

You can find the basic recipe here.

P.S.  Check out the finalists for the 2010 National Geographic Photography Contest- there are some amazing photos!  Bonus, one is a picture of Boise!  See them here

No comments:

Post a Comment