Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Think I Have An Addiction...

...A chocolate and peanut butter addiction.  The snicker's bar that I ate for lunch today wasn't enough.  Nope, I had to go and make a chocolate peanut butter cake.  Specifically, a three layer chocolate cake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and chocolate peanut butter ganache.  In my defense, it was a gift for somebody, and I gave most of it away.

As far as layer cakes go, this one is pretty quick and easy, but the results are delicious and impressive.  If you decide to make this, I'd line up a few taste testers to help you eat it; it's very rich.


For the cake portion, I used Ina Garten's recipe for Beatty's Chocolate Cake, baked in three layers instead of two (in my oven, they take about 20 minutes).  A tip: I've made this recipe countless times, and I find that you don't need a mixer (a plus when baking during nap time).  I mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients in a large pyrex liquid measuring cup, then add wet to dry and mix well.  The batter will thin out enough to mix out any lumps after the addition of coffee.  

For the frosting and ganache, as well as assembly instructions, follow this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment