Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Applesauce Bread

A few years ago, my grandma saw this recipe on a cooking segment during the morning news.  She told my mom about it, who then did some fancy googling and tracked it down.  I can't remember which station it was, and I can't find the original link.  So... I'll just attribute this to some lady from a MN news station, via my Grandma.  


I must have made this bread 50 times over the past few years.  I made it a few days ago, but I forgot to take pictures, and all that's left now are a few crumbs.  Sorry, I'm really failing y'all tonight. 


Ingredients:  Makes two large loaves
4 cups flour   ( I use 2 cups whole wheat, 2 cups all purpose)
4 tsp. baking soda
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp cornstarch
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
3½ cups unsweetened applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups raisins (optional)....that would be healthy, but I use two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead...mmm...

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients.  Pour into two loaf pans.  Bake at 325 degrees for one hour. 



This bread is moist and sweet, but not overly so, and somewhat healthy.  It is a great cake-like option for somebody with an egg allergy, or a vegan (if you choose the chocolate chips and sugar carefully).  I usually cut back on the sugar so it can serve as a semi decent snack option.  Last night, I dressed it up as dessert to serve to guests.  I cut small slices, warmed them slightly, then piled them high with strawberries and fresh whipped cream.  Delicious!  It freezes well, too.  Pre-slice it so you can easily grab a piece and microwave it for 20 seconds to defrost, or 40 seconds to get it nice and gooey.  


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment