Sunday, May 1, 2011

No Animals Were Harmed In The Making Of This Blog Post

Here's a meal for all the vegans in the house.  Can I get a woop-woop!?!  Okay, so the salad dressing contains honey, which is technically not vegan, but some would argue that.  What's important is that everything tastes awesome.  

image via 101 cookbooks

Here's the menu:
   This was awesome.  Like, really, truly, freaking delicious.  Yes, I understand that the phrases "fermented soy product" and "freaking delicious" don't normally mesh, but this is an exception.  I left out the cliantro and lime juice because it didn't seem right.  We try to avoid too much soy, but I think it's okay now and then, and that organic tempeh is one of the healthier forms of soy.  Also, we served ours over wheatberries, but without the kale.  I had kale, but it smelled funny.  Does kale always smell funny?  I couldn't remember ever smelling it before, so I tossed it just to be safe.  It was a few days old anyway.  

Broccolini
   No recipe here.  I just steamed it to make things easy.  Which means that naturally, I forgot about it and it was severely overcooked.  Oh well, the kids still loved it.  Oh, and the broccolini was my substitute for the stinky kale.  And you know what?  The broccolini was stinky, too.  And it was fresh.  Then I remembered that the co-op produce bags are stinky.  If only I hadn't tossed the kale.  I almost pulled it out of the garbage.  Almost.

  Tyler recently confessed that he's been making daily trips to Jenny's for the house salad.  I asked him what was so special about a house salad.  The answer: greens, apples, raisins and shallot vinaigrette.  I figured, I can recreate that.  A google search for shallot vinaigrette will bring you about a thousand different recipe options, so I blindly chose this one.   Tyler proclaimed it a hit.  

Yum!  It was all so good and it felt like a really "clean" meal.  And you can eat dinner knowing that know animals were harmed in the making of your meal.  Not even the bees.  They want you to eat their honey.  Trust me. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment