Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Post-Holiday Food, Part 2

So we've covered lunch, now how about breakfast?  I've gotten into a very bad habit of eating a granola bar for breakfast while driving to work.  If it's a good day, I'll make some peanut butter toast to eat at stop lights.  A bad day = eating just a spoonful of peanut butter before running out the door.  It's not that I'm busier than anybody else, I just don't take/make the time for breakfast.

My kids and I love oatmeal, but this is not a very car friendly food.  Even if we have a morning at home, cooking oatmeal the right way takes time, and when I'm the kids are hungry, breakfast better be ready.  I tried a recipe for crock pot oatmeal a couple of years ago with disastrous results.  Determined to eat a real breakfast more often, I began my crock pot recipe search again, and this time I've found a winner.  Slow cooker steel cut oats are super easy, nutritious and delicious.

My recipe (A google search will show you 100's of different recipes, but this is what I have done):

1.  Find a large glass bowl that will fit inside your crock pot.  Fill the bowl with 1 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water and 1/2 cup milk or cream.  Add a dash of salt and cinnamon to taste.  You can add dried fruit now, or wait until morning.

2. Set the bowl in the crock pot, and fill the crock pot with enough water that it comes at least half way up the sides of the glass bowl (essentially creating a water bath).  Cover, and turn the crock pot onto low.

3.  Get 8 hours of sleep.  Wake up.  Eat oatmeal.  Feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment