Monday, June 20, 2011

Avocado Pasta

  Ever since her cousin visited at Easter time and declared she didn't like marinara sauce, Hadley has decided she feels the same way.   Hadley asked for "plain pasta, no sauce, and an avocado" for lunch today.  I began to wonder if avocados could be combined with pasta, but the idea sounded so gross that I almost didn't google it.  I have a strange aversion to the taste of warm avocado.  Anyway, I did a search, and I'm glad I did.  


I went off this recipe from Oh She Glows.  I didn't have basil, so I left that out.  I had a lemon, but it's for a dish I'm making on Thursday, so I just used bottled lemon juice and skipped the zest.  Also, I added some parmesan cheese.  Oh, and I didn't measure anything.  So, here's the basic recipe.  

1.  Boil some pasta.  I used whole wheat rotini.  It's easier for the kids to eat and the spirals hold the sauce better.  

2.  While the pasta is cooking, in the bowl of a food processor, combine an avocado, a dash of lemon juice, a sprinkle of sea salt, a spoonful of chopped garlic (I use the pre-chopped garlic in the jar for recipes where it isn't the main flavor- easier and faster than chopping the cloves), and a bit of olive oil. Blend until well mixed.  Add some parmesan cheese and mix some more.

3.  Drain the pasta and toss with sauce.  Enjoy!

Blake liked it, I liked it (despite the warm avocado taste), and Hadley refused to try it.  But I know she would have liked it, had she tried it.  Kids, I tell you.  This recipe is a great way to get healthy fats into kids.  My kids have both been eating avocados several times a week since they were about 6 months old and I can't tell you how many outfits have been stained by avocados.  Consider that your warning.  Break out the bibs!

No comments:

Post a Comment