Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Thai

image via epicurious.com

We had a play date at our house yesterday; 3 moms, 6 kids, and about 200 toys.  Come lunch time, the kids munched on chicken nuggets and watermelon.  But us moms, we deserve something better.  I tried out two new recipes that I chose because: 1. They sounded good, 2. They could be made ahead of time, and 3. They were both served cold- perfect for a hot summer day. 

I made vegetable summer rolls the night before the play date.  I was worried that they would dry out overnight, when in fact they actually ended up with a little too much liquid.   The were flavorful and filling, without being heavy.  They did take some time, mostly in chopping the vegetables and making the sauce, but none of it was hard to do.  Dealing with the rice paper was easier than I expected, and I only tore the first one.  I made the recipe as written, but I think you could substitute different vegetables, or add some tofu or shrimp.  The star of the recipe was the peanut sauce- yum!

The second half of lunch was even quicker and easier.  Mango-Ginger-Curry Soup is made in a food processor and doesn't need to be cooked.  It took about 10 minutes to throw together, with the bulk of the time spent cutting the mangoes.  I left out the shallots per reviews, and I think this was a good choice.  The soup looked pretty and had an interesting flavor, but was not my favorite part of the meal.  However, I don't know if I'm a fan of cold soups, and I do know that I'm not a fan of cold shrimp.  Still, it was easy enough and fun to try something new.  My guests said they liked it, but they have to say that, right?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment