Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dutch Oven Bread

About two weeks ago I had to stop running for awhile, which led to the decision that I should stop baking for awhile.  When I bake, I eat.  A lot.

Fast forward two weeks and I am going through major baking withdrawal.  Like, I have clicked on this webpage about 30 times.  Mmm... doesn't that look good?  Each time, I go through my mental checklist: eggs- check, whipping cream- check, chocolate stout- no, but the co-op is open until 9:00...  Rewind and repeat, night after night.  Oh, then there's this lemon layer cake.  Also, my mom made me a carrot cake for my birthday.  It was good, but there's a major problem.  I didn't get to eat seconds, or thirds, or fourths.  Not even for breakfast (yes, carrot cake totally counts as proper breakfast food).  So, now I'm back in Boise and I need to make carrot cake, but I can't.  Oh, woe is me.

A few years ago, I heard that you can bake "artisan" bread in a dutch oven.  I was intrigued, but I never tried because: 1. Baking bread scares me, and 2. Why bake bread when you can bake a cake?  So, now's the time.  I said I'd stop baking, but what I think I meant was that I'd stop baking sweets.  So, I decided to become a bread baker.  Who cares that today was the hottest day of the year, I needed to bake, darn it!

So, dutch oven bread attempt number one was using this recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  I made it because it didn't require a several hour rest/rise time.  The bread was easy and the results were good.  The crust was almost flaky, I suppose due to the amount of butter in the bread.  My bread didn't look nearly as nice as the pictures posted with the recipe, but I was still proud of the results.


Well, it's another night and another loaf of bread.  The second recipe I used was a bit more traditional.  I found it here.   When you are done reading the recipe, take a minute to peruse her site, her home is beautiful and creative.  So, with the second recipe, I mixed the dough last night, then pulled it out of the fridge when I got home.  The baking method was similar, starting with a pre heated dutch oven, baking for 15 minutes with the lid on, then removing the lid for the remainder of baking.  This bread had a more traditional taste and texture, and was delicious while still warm.   I did think it was pretty similar to french bread made in the bread maker, but it may be because it was the first time I made it.  The recipe made enough dough for two loaves, so I'll bake the second half in a few days.   I'm expecting that to be even better.  


Neither recipe took more than a few minutes of hands on time, and there's nothing like fresh, homemade bread, so I'm sure I'll make them again, as well as trying a few different recipes.  And if the leftovers somehow magically transform into chocolate bread pudding, it'll be solely to avoid wasting food.  How admirable is that?  


No comments:

Post a Comment