Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Creme Fraiche

I think that I'm making yogurt right now, but I can't be sure until tomorrow.  I thought that I was making yogurt all day, but the end result was a crockpot full of chunky milk.  If this new batch works, I'll be sure to post the recipe.  In the meantime, here is a tried and true recipe for homemade creme fraiche.  When I make it, I pour it into a small pyrex container and just set the lid on top without sealing.  It's exciting to go to bed with a bowl of cream on the counter, and wake up to a bowl of creme fraiche!  Plus, it's delicious and so much cheaper than buying it in the store.

 image via stephmodo.com


Crème Fraiche (Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1) (via stephmodo.com)
1 teaspoon commercial buttermilk
1 cup whipping cream/heavy cream
Stir the buttermilk into the cream and heat to lukewarm–not over 85 degrees.  Pour the mixture into a loosely covered jar and let it stand at a temperature of not over 85 degrees nor under 60 degrees until it has thickened.  This will take 5 to 8 hours on a hot day, 24 to 36 hours at a low temperature.  Stir, cover, and refrigerate.  Your crème fraiche will keep up to 10 days in the fridge.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment