Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Power (squeak) of Positive (squeak) Memories And (squeak) Lots of Laughter (squeak-squeak)



My Grandpa passed away Monday night, and despite him being 94 years old, it was unexpected.  Today was a tough one for me (and the rest of my great, big, wonderful family).  However, through the tears, there have been smiles.  Through the crying, there has been laughter.  As a sign of the times, the family has connected over Facebook, sharing memories, quotes, pictures and condolences. 
 I was having trouble sleeping last night, and I began to think of the many positive traits that my Grandpa possessed.  While there are too many to list, there was one thing that really struck me.  I don't remember ever hearing him say a bad thing about anyone.  Never.  Now, maybe I just don't remember it, or maybe he didn't say those things in front of the grandkids, but I really don't think that's the case.  
To give you an idea of who he was, this quote from my uncle describes him perfectly,
 "He was kind, funny, smart, interested in everything and everybody, hardworking, and accepting of everyone he met."  
I think the last line about acceptance is one of the most admirable, positive traits and it happens to be tied to one of my favorite stories about my grandpa.  For a quick background, Grandma and Grandpa were devout Catholics and were steadfast in their beliefs.  When Grandpa was told that my cousin is gay, he was accepting and loving, even when everything he'd ever known to be true told him that this was wrong.  For a man to alter his beliefs, after 90+ years, in the name of love for his family...well that's pretty awesome.  One more quote from my uncle, because it totally made me chuckle (especially if you picture my 94 year old Grandpa saying it), "I think he figured if gay = tim then I guess I love gay guys!!!"  
Well, now, this is supposed to be a positive blog, but here I am crying again.  I do think that grief and loss have a way of bringing out the positive in people; spurring people to share, support, love and remember.  A reminder to do good things and be a good person.  A chance to bring family together, in person and in spirit.  And that's just what Grandpa would have wanted.  
To end on a happy note, do you want to see what lit up my night?  These two adorable, wild little munchkins completely turned my day around, turning tears of sadness into "laughing so hard I was crying tears."  First, Hadley said this: "Mom, when your old Hadley goes to preschool, you can get a new Hadley to stay home!"  Then, there's her new habit of "I'm holding my hand" which started when we told her to wait for mommy and be very careful when walking next to the pool, "It's okay, I'm holding my hand," she said as she walked along the slippery pool side, her two hands clasped together.  Oh, and then there's this video.  I challenge you to not smile, unless you happen to be the poor hotel guest staying below us.


3 comments:

  1. Great blog, Andrea. Thanks.
    HOWEVER, you never heard him say anything bad about anybody because you never heard him talk about the Kennedys....he did not like them! "Joe Kennedy (the patriarch of the family) was nothing but a crook." etc, etc
    Enjoy all your blogs and hope the house is getting put back together.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I though Makayla made a lot of noise with her squeaky shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your grandfather Andrea! Grandparents are one of the most treasured relationships we can have in our lives. The more years they live, the more memories and love we have for them:)

    xoxo
    Christina

    ReplyDelete