Sunday, February 27, 2011

This and That

-My brother and future sister in law ordered us dinner tonight, all the way from MN (the order, not the food).  We had our favorite sushi, which Hadley described as "Mmm... It's really tasty!"  The only downside?  They put the salad in these styrofoam takeout containers and they remind me of my childhood.  Good memories, but a bad association for dinner time...

Superb asian slaw

Leeches

If you grew up in a fishing family, you knew better than to eat out of the styrofoam cups in the fridge, as they probably contained leeches, minnows or worms.  Are we all grossed out yet?  
(Did I eat the salad?  Yes, and the leech flavor was a nice compliment to the cabbage.)




-Speaking of eating, have you heard of knorks?  Say it, knork! knork! knork!  Isn't that a fun word?  They are a fork that cuts food like a knife, and no, they won't cut your tongue off (I googled it).  I think these would be great for some of my patients that only have use of one hand.  The metal ones are apparently a bit heavy, but they do have a plastic version, 4 knorks for $3.  Interested?  Here's a link for for $25 off $50 worth of Knork products. 


-When we were driving tonight, Hadley saw some geese on the side of the road.  She said, "Silly goose, geese don't eat snow, they eat broccoli!"  I wonder of Knork makes a version for webbed feet.  Or wings.  How would a goose hold a fork?  The world may never know. 

- I always spell broccoli incorrectly, and the Mac asks me if I'd like to "learn spelling."  This makes me feel like the computer is mocking me and I get angry.  Then I think of this video, and I'm happy again.



The first time I heard this lovely song, it was not performed by Dana Carvey, but instead by my Aunt Monica.  She had just moved from Alaska and we didn't know her very well.  I remember my brother and I looking at each other mid performance, smiling and thinking that this woman was wonderfully wacky.  Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that we thought she was making up the song as she went along.

-A friend posted a Mitch Hedberg quote on facebook tonight, which prompted me to watch a few YouTube videos.  If you haven't heard of him, then watch, learn and love.  Mitch was from MN and performed often in Grand Forks, although I (unfortunately) never went.



-On a more serious note, please take a minute to consider donating to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.  My friend has formed a fundraising team for the MS Walk, and while you may not know her, you probably know somebody that has or will be affected by MS.  Here is the link.  

-The kids were getting along exceptionally, unusually well tonight.  Here is some photographic proof. 




It's hard to tell, but Blake was leaning against Hadley while sucking his thumb.  That is his ultimate sign of affection, saying "I love you, please cuddle with me."


1 comment:

  1. Yes I did a mighty fine "chopping broccoli" on grandma's piano!! Addie now does not find me wonderfully wacky...just embarrassing :)
    Aunt Monica

    ReplyDelete