Monday, February 14, 2011

Can you feel the love?

This is what I would have given Tyler, had I given him a valentine.

Hadley and I made a fun Valentine's Day treat last night: pie in a jar.  I found the idea at Our Best Bites, using a different recipe for a butter/crisco crust, and used Betty Crocker's recipe for the apple filling.  I made the dough the night before and let it chill in the fridge.  Hadley was still sleeping when I got home from work on Sunday, so I had time to prep the apple filling.  After dinner, Hadley helped me fill the jars with the dough and then she scooped the apple filling in.  


I decided to top them with crumb topping because I was running out of pie dough (one recipe filled 8 jars) and because I think it tastes better than a double crust.  




The jars were frozen overnight and delivered to Hadley's friends this morning.  After dinner, we decided that a taste test was in order, so we baked one. 





 It took exactly 60 minutes, and was enough for the four of use to each have a few bites.  The pie got eight thumbs up.


We ate it picnic style on the kitchen floor; what a perfect Valentine's date!  I'd include a picture, but Hadley was eating in her birthday suit.  For reference, this is what Blake looks like when he is happily eating:

Dinner tonight

I'm just realizing that we had chocolate's for an appetizer (thanks Ty!), cake for dinner and pie for dessert.  Oy vey!  Okay, so the "cake" was actually this awesome cauliflower parmesan cake that we love.  Here is the recipe, from Smitten Kitchen.   We've made this a few times, forgetting or changing something each time, and it always turns out great.  Three constants: it always takes longer to bake (60-75'), we've always subbed poppy seeds for the black sesame seeds, and everybody always loves it.  The kids scarf this one down every time.  It's a nutritious meal; who knew the onions had so many health benefits?  Oh, and cauliflower certainly isn't junk food either.  




  
The recipe does involve a fair amount of prep work, but I'd imagine a lot could be done the night before (chop/boil the cauliflower, chop and cook the onions, shred the parmesan, etc).  I tend to make this when organic cauliflower is on sale, so I've always used fresh, but I'd assume frozen would work fine.  One more note, Tyler doesn't like cauliflower, but he likes this meal.  

Well, Valentine's Day is almost over, so I should wrap this up.  I have two videos to leave you with.  One will make you laugh, the other will make your heart race.  

We laughed so hard when we saw this in person, as it was totally unexpected.  As it turns out, they dance every night.  Watch some of the other youtube videos if you need a laugh. 



This makes me nervous, but WOW!  



Come back tomorrow to see how I combine this:


with this:




Happy Valentine's Day, I hope it was lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment