Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Hug in a Bowl

image via allrecipes

One of our favorite breakfast treats is Butterscotch Oatmeal.  I could just as easily eat this for dessert; it's that good.  In fact, I've been known to cook up a batch at night, eat a bowl before bed and save the rest to reheat for breakfast the next morning.  I discovered this recipe when Blake was first born and I was so tired of eating bowl after bowl of plain oatmeal (it's a galactagogue).  It is so creamy, thick and sweet, with an almost custardy taste and texture.  I reduce the sugar and the butter for myself and reduce or eliminate the sugar for the kids, while using all of the butter.  Here is the recipe, with my adaptations.

INGREDIENTS:
1 egg, beaten
2 cups milk
1 TBSP-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup organic rolled oats
2 tsp to 2 tablespoons butter
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the egg, milk and brown sugar. Mix in the oats. When the oatmeal begins to boil, cook and stir until thick. Remove from the heat, and stir in butter until melted. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment