Thursday, February 17, 2011

Row, Row, Row Your Boat...


We came home from dinner last night to find our house under water.  Definitely not a positive experience, but there have been some very positive moments.

1.  It's all just "stuff."  Nobody got hurt, we still have a house and we've been assured that it will be restored completely.

2.  I know some awesome people.  Friends have offered up meals and childcare, and one even offered up her entire home for whole weekend.  I feel kind of silly to even be offered/accept these things since we just have some water in our house.  So many people are going through so much more right now.

3.  The kids think that staying at hotel is pretty neat, or "so exciting!" as Hadley would say.  As I was driving to the hotel last night, jeans still rolled up to my knees and mascara smeared all over my face, I heard Hadley say this:  "I'm sad for Daddy, because I just miss him...but the hotel makes me really happy!"

4.  While we were waiting for the disaster crews last night, the kids were standing on the bottom step, safely contained by the baby gate.  In unison, they both stood up, leaned over the gate and broke into a chorus of "Row, row, row your boat."  Wise guys, eh?

5. Hadley could tell that I was frustrated, trying to get the kids corralled and ready for bed at the hotel last night.  She said, "Mom, watch me crack you up,"  then begin doing this dance that could best be described as a sumo wrestler stomp with a little butt wiggle.  It totally worked.

6.  My husband has been amazing, making multiple trips back to the house to move our things, get more toys for the kids, etc.  He just got done doing three loads of laundry at the hotel.  I'm sure he's easily been on 50 fifty phone calls today, between the demo company and the insurance company.  He does, however, need my assistance to put the smack down on these guys.  Tyler is just too nice.

7.  Hadley was looking out the window while eating breakfast this morning, when she spotted a UPS truck.  Very loudly, she yelled, "That's a truck like my hairy Grandpa drives!"  Not only did she make me smile, but I could hear laughter from several tables away.  Why does she call my dad "Hairy Grandpa?"  My mom showed her a picture from their wedding, and my dad looked something like this:





1 comment:

  1. OMG, or as Claire's mom says, "NOMYGOD"! This post made me laugh out loud (I despise the abbreviation for laughing out loud). Thank goodness for humor!

    ReplyDelete