Thursday, March 24, 2011

It's All About Timing

In the past week or so, our house has flooded (again), Hadley's tantrums have reached a whole new level of awesomeness, Blake has weaned himself, and finally, this showed up in my mailbox:

She's a bit of a sommelier savant.

Coincidence?  I think not.  The world is telling me that it's time to start drinking.  For 44 of the past 47 months, I've been either pregnant or breastfeeding, which means that I've been caffeine and alcohol free.  (Yes, I already know that both are fine in small amounts, but I'm crazy paranoid during my pregnancies).     

You may not know this, but the Boise area is home to several wineries.  In all, there are about forty wineries throughout Idaho.  It's been a few years, but we used to enjoy bringing a picnic out to Ste. Chapelle during one of their summer concerts.  


While Ste. Chapelle has been around for many years, Cinder Winery is a relative newcomer.  They were featured in a little write up about Boise in the March issue of Sunset Magazine.  

Speaking of Sunset magazine, do you have a subscription?  If so, would you like to give me your discarded issues?  I promise to recycle them when I'm done.  

And speaking of Boise, did you know that the Stylish Stork is going out of business?  That means that everything in the store is 50% off.  

When you are done shopping, you can head to Aspen Leaf Yogurt, Boise's newest spot to please your sweet tooth.  Imagine: 20 flavors of frozen yogurt, 70 topping choice (including mochi- yum!), and it's all self serve.  I've heard of places like this existing in magical sugary dreamlands, but this was my first visit to one.  The minute I walked through the door, I was handed several small sample cups to try out the many flavor options.  I settled on tart yogurt with mochi on top, the kids had peach yogurt with fresh berries, and Tyler had strawberry yogurt with fudge on top (delivered to his office by his wonderful wife).  The yogurt is priced by weight ($.42/ounce), so it's best to exercise some restraint when filling your cup.  Our total for the three dishes was $12, and we had a fair amount of leftovers.  


So by this point, most of you are probably thinking, "Where is this post going?"  or perhaps, "Has she already started drinking?"  Bear with me here folks.  

After you've shopped the sales in BoDo and enjoyed frozen yogurt on 8th street, you can head to the Boise Flower and Garden Show.  In addition to the flowers, the bonsais, and the gardening seminars, there is a WINE and jazz event.  Boom!  Full circle.  

Still confused?  Yeah, me too.  It's been a long week.


No comments:

Post a Comment