Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beaded Hanging Candle Holders

When we first moved into our house, I hung 3 plant hooks on our back fence.  Every spring, I purchase three big, beautiful and expensive hanging plants.  They look great for a month or two, then the bugs start eating the flowers, and we start getting lazy about watering them.  Idaho is hot and dry, and plants don't do well being watered every other day only once a day.  So, new year, new plan.  I bought five daylily roots (plants) at $5.00 a piece.  They are supposedly hardy perennials that will bloom for most of the summer.  These were planted at the base of the back fence.  They should get enough water from the sprinkler system.  Hopefully, they will soon look like this:


Replacing the hanging pots with daylilies meant that I had three empty plant hooks on my fence.  I decided to turn it into a crafting opportunity, and I think it turned out well.  In the words of Hadley, "They look great!"




I bought little candle holders at World Market for $.99 a piece.  I chose these because they had a lip to hold the wire in place.  They look like little flower pots.  We found the beads and the wire at Michaels.  The beads were $5.99 for a big tub full, they were called "Mass O' Glass."  I'd say we only used about 10% of them.  The wire was around $5.00 for 5 yards, and again, we had a lot leftover.  I didn't follow any particular method, I just wound the wire around the pots, looped it up each side and gave Hadley full creative power.  She chose each bead very carefully and told me where it should go.  The beads are held in place by little kinks in the wire, so there was no fancy beadworking technique here.  Just thread them on!  I think they turned out pretty cute, and Hadley is sure proud of her artwork.  


No comments:

Post a Comment