Sunday, April 10, 2011

The BEST Whole Wheat Pancakes!

In our house, Tyler is the pancake maker.  Even though I taught him how to make them, his always turn out better than mine.  My batter turns out puffy.  Plus, I try to sneak in whole wheat flour, but it's hard to miss it.  They seem to get heavy and a bit gritty.  A few weeks ago, we were at the Boise Flower and Garden Show, when we came upon the Cowboy Tom's Flapjacks booth.  They were offering mini pancakes as samples, and the kids gobbled them up and asked for more.   While I was telling them no, the owner of the company was handing them each another plate...and another...and another...  After several free samples, I felt like I should purchase a mix, not knowing what is was.  


I found that the package comes with three separate packs of wheat kernels, as well as three packets of dry ingredients.  The wheat is organic and the dry packet contains only baking soda, salt and sugar.  


Here's what you do: Pour the kernels in the blender, add some milk, blend, add some more milk, blend some more.  Add an egg.  Add some oil.  Blend some more.  Add the dry ingredients.  Blend some more.  Pour onto the griddle.  Cook.  Enjoy.


They look innocent enough, but they contain toasted pecans, bananas and dark chocolate chips.  Yum!


These pancakes are very easy and very delicious.  Tyler, the all purpose flour pancake chef, agrees whole heartedly.  

I don't know if I've ever purchased a pancake mix, but I think this is a bit different.  It's all natural and I'm supporting a local business.  And at $12 to feed four people (plus leftovers) for three meals, I don't think the price is bad.  However, I think I'll look into making my own.  If you google "whole wheat blender pancakes" you'll get lots of hits.  If I find a good one, I'll be sure to let you know.  


2 comments:

  1. These are so yummy! We got a package from a school fundraiser and I was a little skeptical. But, they are super delish. Let me know if you find a homemade recipe that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria BowmanApril 12, 2011

    Awesome! Kara, a healthy food school fundraiser??? Do you know what company they used?

    ReplyDelete