Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sew, it snowed in Boise today...



It snowed today.  Big, fat snowflakes.  They melted before they hit the ground and it only lasted a few minutes, but Hadley talked about it all day.  The kids watched with excitement from their bedroom window, then the living room window, then the kitchen, and finally out the backdoor.  When it was decided that this was the best viewing spot, Hadley announced, "I'm going to make a snowman!  Mom, I need boots and what I put on my hands?"

These mimitens mittens were on babysteals.com about a week ago and they sold out right away.  Apparently other parents love them, and they seem like a great idea to me.  Blake does not keep mittens (or shoes, or socks, or hats) on.  I think he'd still be able to pull these off, but at least at would take a little longer than normal.  The problem is, these gloves are $31 plus shipping and tax.  I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money on something that my kids might refuse to wear.

 I decided to break out my mad sewing skills and whip up my own version of toddler proof mittens, just in case we get a more substantial snowfall. A quick trip to Target for supplies, 15 minutes of cutting and sewing and we're in business!  Here's what I did:




I bought two pairs of toddler mittens ($5.99 each) and one pair of knee high socks ($2.00).  They had several cute patterns and colors of socks.  I bought white socks so they could be used for both kids, as I was thinking I would get two pieces out of each sock.  Well, I must have been distracted by Blake trying to climb out of the cart, or Hadley repeating, "Mom, we need mustard!" (what?), because you need a pair of socks for each pair of gloves.  I only used upper portion with the cuff, but I saved the foot part- I'm thinking they'll make a mean set of sock puppets.




Put the raw/cut end of the sock inside the cuff of the mitten, and start sewing.  It's hard to see from the picture, but I rolled the sock down to make it easier to sew.  




There you have it, the finished product.  Easy peasy.  Seriously, I can't sew and I'm not very crafty, so I was pretty proud of myself.  They certainly aren't as cute as the real thing, but for $7.99 they'll do.  

I still need to make Blake's pair.  I think I'll use an old pair of Tyler's socks instead of heading back to Target to buy new ones.  I'll post an update when the mittens go through a trial run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment