Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sweet Potato Cakes (aka sweet potatoes with pecans and goat cheese)


We've learned that adding the word "cake" to any food makes it automatically more appealing to Hadley.  We made these for dinner tonight, as a side dish to grilled chicken.  I think they could certainly hold their own as the main dish alongside a green salad for a great vegetarian meal.  Tyler had very low expectations, and in fact had me make him a baked russet potato instead.  He doesn't like sweet potatoes, nor does he like goat cheese.  However, they looked good enough for him to sample a bite, then another, and another.  At the end of the meal he said it was one of the best flavor combinations he had tasted in a long time!  Easy, delicious and the whole family enjoyed it- I think we have a winner!

The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, but I changed it a bit.  Here's what I used:

1 chopped apple (braeburn) in place of the celery
Skipped the parsley
about 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
2-3 TBSP dried cherries instead of cranberries ( I didn't actually measure any of it)

Otherwise I made the recipe as written, except the potatoes took about 25-30 minutes to roast on the first side, then an additional 10 minutes after turning.

My picture isn't as pretty as hers, but I promise that it was really yummy.  I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, although I may have to fight the kids for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment