Friday, January 14, 2011

The art of rationalization





So, I bought a new computer last night.  It was expensive, and looking at the receipt still makes me want to puke.  But...

- Our old computer did not work properly (or at times, at all) since the day we got it.  This means we wasted A LOT of time trying to make it work, waiting for it to work, and complaining about how it didn't work.

- The new computer is made in an environmentally friendly factory, is fully recyclable, and uses much less energy than the old one.  So, I'm doing my part to save the earth.  You're welcome.

- Our former computer is part of a class action suit, and will supposedly be replaced in 6 to 8 weeks from the time that I send it in.  I don't feel that I can go that long without a computer.  Sad, but true.

- Said replacement computer is very basic.  We'd be spending money on an external memory card reader, a camera for Skype, and extra memory to handle the bazillion photos I take.  So instead, we will sell it and the profit will offset the cost of the new computer.

- I don't spend much on clothes; yoga pants are cheap, free t-shirts are cheaper.  I'm currently wearing a sweatshirt that was given to me about 9 years ago.

-  I don't drink coffee, which means I can take the $1,000+ that I'm not spending at Starbucks and apply it towards a computer.

- We don't spend money on exotic vacations.

- We use cloth diapers for both kids, which were all purchased 2-3 years ago.  So right there is, what, another $1000+?

-We almost never go on dates, and rarely eat out, so ...cha-ching!

-Tyler and I both work 3 miles or less from our home= less driving = less money spent on gas.

- We are now Mac users, which I believe, instantly moves us up 10 points on the hipster scale.  We are now at a strong 11/100!

Gosh, I could go on forever, but I'd hate to bore you.  Basically, I've decided that I couldn't afford not to buy this computer.  And before you so kindly point out that most (all) of these rationalizations can be argued, I'd like to remind you that this is a positive place.  Nevermind that I used all the same rationalizations to buy a camera a few months ago, or really for any other major purchase.  It all works in my head.

All of those rationalizations don't really matter anyway, as I can happily say that I completed this post without my computer shutting down or freezing up once.  I've been poised and ready to ctrl+alt+del the whole time, but I guess I will have to learn to relax now.

Do you know what trumps any and all rationalizations?  Listening to Hadley giggle while we played with "photobooth."  Of all the amazing things this machine can do, we are crazy impressed by this silly program.  The two year old has an excuse; I do not.  Case(s) in point:









No comments:

Post a Comment