Sunday, January 16, 2011

Making an honest Idahoan out of myself



I live in Idaho, a state known for its potatoes.  Even my license plate will remind me, lest I forget.  I've always felt like a bit of a bad resident, as the russet is a rarity in my kitchen.  But last night, that all changed.

Enter the Hasselback potato:

image via joythebaker.com

Have you heard of these?  They also go by Swedish potatoes.  No, still not familiar?  Well, it's time you get acquainted; Tyler called these the best potatoes he's ever eaten.  They would make a totally easy but completely impressive dish to serve to guests.  Basically, you wash, dry and slice potatoes (but not all the way through!).  Stuff some sliced garlic cloves in between the layers, top with pats of butter, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake at 440 for 60-75 minutes, until the insides are fluffy and the skins are crispy, basting every 15 minutes with the olive oil and butter that has dripped into the pan.  Enjoy!  


2 comments:

  1. I'm an Idaho girl, and I've never heard of them. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made them tonight - loved them!

    ReplyDelete