Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Exercise + cupcakes = the perfect combination

Lately, Hadley has been phrasing all requests as, "should we..."  As in, "should we have a snack?" or "should we go to the playground?"  Every morning, the first thing she asks me is, "Should we go to Stroller Strides today?!?"  Since it is the new year, and many of you are trying to exercise more, I figured a fitness themed post would be appropriate.

Hadley and Blake playing "stroller class" outside of Superb Sushi

Stroller Strides is a mommy/child exercise class that combines working out with singing, laughing and general silliness.  The kids ride along in the strollers, which means I can exercise without having to arrange for childcare (so no excuses!)  I really had to work up the courage to go to the first class, as I felt intimidated by the thought of joining a group of woman who all knew each other; not to mention exercising and singing with said group.  Being a sucker for a deal, a coupon for a free week convinced me to give it a try.  We first went back in August and we've been hooked ever since.  Here were my initial (and lasting) impressions: 1.  It's a really good workout.  2.  The other moms are all super nice.  Oh, and nobody has ever complained about me showing up late.  That, in my book, is a definite positive!  In addition to the exercise class there are several play groups a month.  Since the kids no longer go to daycare, I think these social events are really important for them. Stroller Strides has definitely become a positive in our lives.  The kids love to go to class, we've met some wonderful families, and I'm doing something good for myself.  
(Edited to add:  I just re-read that paragraph and realize that it sounds like a paid advertisement.  It's totally not.  We just love this class that much.  Search for a class in your area and try it out.  You'll love it.)

Talking about exercise burns calories, right?  Do we all agree?  Good, now on to the cupcakes.  


image via allrecipes.com

I made these tonight- yum!  I was concerned by some bad recipe reviews, but overall I think these turned out great.  In fact, I'll use the cake recipe again as a base for other cupcakes.  They baked up with a nice round top, good flavor and nice texture.  

Cream Filled Cupcakes
adapted slightly from allrecipes.com


Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder  (this is what I used, but the original recipe calls for regular unsweetened cocoa)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup coffee  (intensifies the chocolate flavor)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 36 muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, 1 cup milk, coffee, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 to 3/4 full of batter.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
  4. Make filling: In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Blend in confectioners' sugar and pinch of salt. Gradually beat in 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. beat until light and fluffy. Using a knife, cut a cone shape out of the top of each cupcake.  Spoon or pipe (a plastic bag with the corner snipped works great) the filling in, then replace with the top portion of the cone.  Throw away the extra cupcakes, or else you might eat them all.  And I'm totally not speaking from experience.
  5. Top each cupcake with chocolate glaze or frosting.  

I made 24 regular cupcakes with filling and 12 mini cupcakes that were just topped with the glaze.  I'll definitely be making these again, but my next cupcake will a little more adventurous.  I'm loving the recipes (and photos) over at Ming Makes Cupcakes.  I'd like to try one of each, starting with the lemon meringue, then maybe the mango.  Which one would you like to try?  

A few of you have told me that you aren't able to post comments, and sometimes I get comment notifications but I'm not able to open them.  I've played with the settings and I think things should be working now, so comment away!  


  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, awesome. You forgot to mention that Tyler attended and loved it, too! So happy to have you with us. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete