Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dinner parties as distant memories

Mmm...homemade tortillas.  They were delicious!

Before having kids, we threw dinner parties.  We cooked (and cleaned) for hours, trying impressive new recipes, socializing and acting like adults.  Before having kids, other people invited us to their dinner parties.  Now, dinnertime usually consists of a few rounds of "twinkle, twinkle, little star," scraping food off the floor, walls and windows, and begging people to eat what I cooked.  And I love it.

However, I have to admit that I miss civilized dinners.  When I read about Thursday's at Worth Street, I swooned a little.  Every Thursday night, Tamy and Felipe cook a gourmet meal in their apartment for 6-8 friends and strangers.  If I find myself in Manhattan in the near future, I think I'll try to get on the list; their food sounds delicious.

Hosting a weekly meal is not an attainable goal, and being invited to a weekly dinner is even less attainable.  But what about a monthly meal?  Something totally basic and easy, unpretentious and with no goals to impress.  Families welcomed, parents chatting, kids playing, lots of eating.  When Oprah went to Australia (which is now on my travel wish list), she visited a woman who has a weekly taco party.  I think we could handle that once a month.  We'll throw some chicken in the crockpot, you bring some tortillas and maybe your friend brings the salsa.  Oh yes, I will be assigning people to bring food.  Although the thought of it would have made me cringe a few years ago, I am now all about potluck style meals.  And yes, of course you can help with the dishes.

So, who's in?  I'm serious here (local) folks!

3 comments:

  1. Gee, I wish I lived closer. We used to do this a lot. It was a good opportunity for the adults to visit and the kids to play with friends. And yes, asking people to bring food to share was (and is) perfectly acceptable.

    Theresa W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!! We were invited over to some "new" friends house a couple weeks back and it was soo much fun but we don't do it nearly enough (especially since moving). AND I don't think I have entertained much since kiddo number two :-) b/c I like you want to do ALL of it and just can't anymore. Love the way you are making it simple!! Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally be in if we weren't separated by hundreds of miles. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete