Monday, January 31, 2011

Let's play a game

Do you remember those close up photo quizzes on the back of Weekly Readers?  Do Weekly Readers still exist?  I can vividly remember sitting in my first grade classroom, reading a Weekly Reader article about the Bush vs. Dukakis election.  Oh, I loved those stinky little 4 page magazines (I think they must have been printed at the same place as book orders- same thin paper and strange smell).    Anyway, here's a photo quiz for you.  When you are done, pass your paper to the person in front of you to be graded.  


1.  
Any guesses?


How about a hint...


Paint!



2
Tyler says this one is creepy.


Same comment, different picture.


I'll agree, this one is creepy.  


Baby doll!



I would love to own a macro lens for my camera, but they are way too spendy.  I found a $10 extension tube on ebay, and figured it was worth a shot as a cheap stand in for a true macro lens.  I haven't played with it much yet, but for the price I can't complain.  Want to see one more example?  



3. 
Hmmm...what could that be?


Do you know?


There we go, it's a (half eaten) pumpkin muffin.  

Did you hear that there was a pumpkin shortage last fall?  Well, I did, and I bought a can or two of pumpkin puree every time I went to the grocery store.  Thus, I now have a stockpile in my cupboard.  I needed a last minute treat to bring to a new mom last night (she needs major calories to nurse twins!), so I used this pumpkin bread recipe, baked in muffin form to speed things up.  The recipe made 24 muffins and one mini loaf of bread.  I think it tasted much better in loaf form, perhaps because I over baked the muffins.  I checked them at 25 minutes (based on recipe recommendations to bake muffins for 40 minutes) and they were well done.  The mini loaf took about about 30 minutes.  Over done or not, the kids loved them.

Here's the recipe with my changes in parenthesis.  
Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
via allrecipes.com
INGREDIENTS:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (1/2 cup oil, 1/2 C applesauce) 

2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
(1 1/2 cup white, 1 cup brown)

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
(2 cups AP, 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
(add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2.In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, water and sugars until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3.Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (18-20 minutes for muffins, 30 minutes for mini loaves)



Wait, you want to see one more out of focus picture?  Of course!  This one has a funny store behind it.

  
We were driving in the car and somehow got on the subject of Blake's chipped tooth.  We have no idea how it got chipped; in fact, I swear that it came in that way.  Tyler mentioned that he has a similarly chipped front tooth, and jokingly said, "maybe it's a genetic chip."  Hadley heard this and said, "I want to eat genetic chips at the hockey game!"  Last night, she saw a bag of tortilla chips and asked if they were "genetic chips."  Oh man, that kid makes me laugh! 









No comments:

Post a Comment