Monday, January 24, 2011

Pecanella?

This morning was cool, dark and rainy.  After burning a lot of calories at Stroller Strides, I naturally wanted to come home and bake.  I thought about making banana bread, but most of the bananas were too green and I didn't have any eggs (darn post vacation fridge!).  Next, I decided to make graham crackers (no eggs needed), but realized that I didn't have any whole wheat flour.  While looking through my baking cupboards, I found two large bags of pecans.  In an act of desperation, my makeshift dessert (morning snack) consisted of pecans and dark chocolate chips, straight up.

Pecans and chocolate are one of my favorite flavor combinations.  When I make turtle cake, I like eat toasted pecan halves coated in chocolate frosting, eaten chip and dip style.  Inevitably, it always leaves me feeling a little sick, but it is so worth it.  So, back to those two bags of pecans... what to do?  A couple of days ago, there was a post on Smitten Kitchen about homemade nutella made with peanuts instead of hazelnuts.  Which got me thinking, what about nutella made with toasted pecans?

So, Hadley and I got to work.  The results- awesome!  If you like this flavor combination, you will love this recipe.  In fact, you probably shouldn't make it alone.  Have a buddy there to either eat half, or at least make you feel self conscious about eating spoonful after spoonful of this sinful spread.

Step 1:  Toast about 2 cups of pecans (350 degrees for 7-10 minutes).


Step 2:  Puree in food processor until liquified (3-5 minutes).




Step 3:  Call Grandma to tell her that you are "making sugar pecans."


Step 4: Blend in 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1-2 TBSP of peanut oil.


I didn't have peanut oil, so I used coconut oil.  The end result was a bit thin; I think the oil could be reduced or left out.




Step 5: Enjoy!



Step 6: Put in covered container and refrigerate for up to one week.  For best results, place in the back of the fridge, hidden from view.  Otherwise you might find yourself eating a spoonful every time you open the fridge.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  


Does this picture remind you of anything?   80's flashback, perhaps?  If you do make this recipe, find yourself eating too much and need something to kill your appetite, than watch this video.





If you are trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers, check out this list of nutella recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment