Sunday, January 2, 2011

On New Year's Resolutions

Based on past failure, I've learned not to make New Year's Resolutions.  I do, however, have some ongoing goals that are on my mind this time of year.  Be more present, be kind, treat my body well, sleep more and get organized.  

Traditionally, one of the top New Year's resolutions is to diet or lose weight.  It's unfortunate how many people, especially women, hate their bodies.  Personally, being pregnant, delivering two children, and raising a daughter have all helped to improve me body image.  When Hadley was very young, I vowed to never make negative comments about my own body in front of her.  As time has gone on, I haven't had to work as hard to suppress these comments, as I find that I'm more tolerant of my imperfections.  My kids don't care one bit that I have a squishy, stretch marked tummy; in fact, Hadley will proudly inform you that "mommy growed Hadley in there!"  While I'm no where near being confident enough to rock a bikini, I also realize that I have no desire to.  As long as I feel good and know that I'm making an effort towards being healthy, I can deal with the rest. 

As you set goals to change who you are, physically and otherwise, remember to be kind to yourself.  Dwell on the positives, specifically the amazing things that your body does every second of everyday.  Some of you reading this deserve to give yourself an extra pat on the back.  In 2010 you gave birth, beat cancer or ran a marathon.  The human body is an amazing thing.  

If you are a mother struggling with postpartum body image issues, here is a website that I find to be helpful, hopeful and encouraging.  

If you are striving for improved eating habits, here's a recipe to get you started.  

Baked Kale Chips (my version)

1. Wash and dry one bunch of Kale (curly, flat, dinosaur- they all work).  Remove the stems and tear leaves into "chip sized" pieces  (How's that for specific?  Make them whatever size you want, but remember, they will shrink).
2.  Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt or seasoning salt. 
3.  Bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Watch closely as they go from undercooked to burnt in a matter of seconds.  They are done when they are crispy and dry but not burnt. 

This is a love it or hate it recipe.  I love them, Tyler hates them and Hadley eats them by the handful.  Blake was a stinker and threw all of his lunch on the floor today, so it's hard to know what he thinks of them.  Kale is very nutritious and this is a great way to enjoy it.  A google search for Kale chips will bring up countless different temperatures, cooking times and toppings.  Here is a good blog post with pictures as well as links to other recipes.

Dinosaur kale reminded me of this quote from Hadley. 
Hadley: "Sometimes dinosaurs are scary; we have to run away from them."  
Tyler: "Don't worry, dinosaurs are extinct"
Hadley: "Yeah, they stinked!  Dinosaurs pooped!"


Completely unrelated, but positive none the less:
Livie and Luca Shoes are all 50% through January 2nd.  Use the code 50off2010. 
The kids don't need shoes right now, but I can always save them for next year, right?  I'm thinking of getting these for Blake:

And these for Hadley:


 There's something wonderfully geriatric about them.  Seriously, I think they are cute.  What do you think? 


Happy 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment