Monday, January 10, 2011

Kale and Pear Smoothie



I try to include lots of vegetables in our meals, but that just doesn't always happen.  The other night, we had thai chicken lavosh for dinner.  It was delicious, but not exactly healthy.  To round things out, I made these Kale and Pear smoothies for a bed time snack.  I was leery of a smoothie containing greens, but it was surprisingly good.  In fact, Hadley drank three glasses!

I used this recipe, from Joy the Baker.  My modifications are in parentheses.

Kale, Spinach and Pear Smoothie


1 heaping cup spinach leaves  (I left these out and upped the amount of Kale)
1 heaping cup chopped kale leaves
1/2 pear
1 frozen banana (I used a fresh banana and added a few ice cubes)
1 1/2 cups cold almond milk (or soy milk or orange juice) (we used whole milk for the kids)
1 tablespoon honey
Remove kale leaves from their rough center stalk and coarsely chop.  In a blender, combine kale spinach and almond milk.  Blend until no big kale bits remain.  Stop blender and add banana honey and pear.  Blend until smooth.  Enjoy immediately.  Heck yea!






No comments:

Post a Comment