Saturday, January 29, 2011

Today is brought to you by the letter C.

The alternative title for this post was, "A curry, a cookie and a cracker walk into a kitchen..." However, that seemed like it had the potential to be the opening to a really offensive joke.  I decided that a Sesame Street reference might be more politically correct.  Okay?  Good?  Alright, on with the recipes!



Curry
Curry photos are not very appetizing, so here's a photo of Morocco (via National Geographic)

So you have a fridge full of vegetables and no dinner plans...what to do?  I stumbled upon this Moroccan curry recipe the other night, and I'm glad I did.  I basically followed the cooking method and spice combination, substituting the veggies that I had on hand (cauliflower, broccolini, red and green peppers, onions and potatoes).  The results were very good the first day and even better as leftovers.  I planned to serve it with brown rice, but alas the rice cooker didn't come through.  The rice was still crunchy, even after adding more water and cooking for an extra 20 minutes.  I made couscous as a quick fix, which was a good accompaniment and probably an authentic side dish for a Moroccan meal.  Determined to conquer the brown rice challenge, a google search brought me to the answer: baked brown rice.   How come nobody told me about this sooner? 

Cookies

Remember the homemade nutella that was taunting me from the fridge?  It desperately needed a purpose, so I found this recipe for nutella chocolate chip cookies.  Yum!  Hadley was my sous chef, and she gives the cookies two oven gloved thumbs up.








Graham Crackers

image via Martha Stewart

Homemade graham crackers are delicious.  That is, unless you double the salt.  Then they are salty.  If you are willing to carefully measure all ingredients, these are definitely worth the time to mix, roll, chill and bake.  I usually use this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but decided to try Martha's version last time.  I think I like the flavor of the first recipe best, but the second recipe has a lighter texture that I enjoyed.  Try one and let me know what you think.  


No comments:

Post a Comment